Sunday, August 5, 2007

Bouquet ingredients and their meanings

A friend of mine mentioned to me that I haven't written something light-hearted for a long time, forever talking so here I will leave a guideline on meanings for the stuff they use in a bouquet (I can't use flowers as some of these are plants and fruits! ^^) Okay, here goes....

A

B

C

Carnation - (in general) Bonds of affection; health and energy; fascination; woman love
(pink) - I'll never forget you

(purple) - Capriciousness; whimsical; changeable

(red) - My heart aches for you; admiration

(solid color) -Yes

(striped)- No; refusal; sorry I can't be with you; wish I could be with you

(white) -Sweet and lovely; innocence; pure love; woman's good luck gift

(yellow) - Rejection; disdain
Chrysanthemum (in general) - Cheerfulness; You're a wonderful friend (red) - I love (white) - Truth (yellow) -Slighted love

D

E

F

Fern - Sincerity (Magic) - Fascination; confidence and shelter (Maidenhair) - Secret bond of love

G

H


Heather (lavender) - Admiration; solitude
(white) - Protection; wishes will come true Hyacinth (general) - Games and sports; rashness;flower dedicated to Apollo (blue) - Constancy (purple) - I'm sorry; please forgive me; sorrow (red or pink) - Play (white) - Loveliness; I'll pray for you (yellow) - Jealousy
  • Hydrangea - Thank you for understanding; frigidity; heartlessness
  • Hyssop - Wards away evil spirits

I

  • Iris - Faith; hope; wisdom and valor
Ivy - Fidelity and friendship (white tendrils) - Anxious to please; affection

J

  • Jasmine - Amiability; attracts wealth
  • Jonquil - Love me; affection returned; desire; sympathy; desire for a return of affection
  • Juniper - Protection

L

Lemon - Zest
(blossom) - Discretion Lily (general) - Keeps unwanted visitors away (calia) - Beauty (day) - Coquetry (eucharis) - Maiden charms (orange) - Hatred (tiger) - Wealth; pride (white) - Virginity; purity; majesty; it's heavenly to be with you (yellow) - I'm walking on air; false and gay

M

N

  • Narcissus - Egotism; formality; stay as sweet as you are
  • Nasturtium - Conquest; victory in battle; maternal love; charity; patriotism

O

Orange - Generosity (Blossom) - Brings wisdom Orchid - Love; beauty; refinement; beautiful lady; Chinese symbol for many children (cattleya) - Mature charm

P

Poppy (general) - Eternal sleep ; oblivion; imagination (red) -Pleasure; consolation (white) - Consolation; sleep (yellow) - Wealth; success

Primrose - I can't live without you; early youth (evening) - Inconstancy

R


Rose (general)(Red) - Love ; I love you

(white) - Eternal Love ; innocence; heavenly; secrecy and silence

(pink) - Perfect happiness; please believe me

(Yellow) - Friendship ; jealousy; try to care

(Black) -Death

(red and white) - Together; unity

(thornless) - Love at first sight

(single, full bloom) - I love you; I still love you

(tea) - I'll always remember

(cabbage) - Ambassador of love

(Christmas) - Tranquilize my anxiety; anxiety

(damask) - Brilliant complexion

(dark crimson) - Mourning

(hibiscus) - Delicate beauty

(bud) - Beauty and youth ; a heart innocent of love

(red) - Pure and lovely

(white) - Girlhood

(moss) - Confessions of love

(Bouquet of full bloom) - Gratitude

(Garland or crown of) - Beware of virtue; reward of merit; crown ; symbol of superior merit (musk cluster) - Charming (leaf) - You may hope

S

T

Tulip(general) - Fame,charity; perfect lover (red) - Believe me; declaration of love (variegated) - Beautiful eyes (yellow) - Hopeless love

V


Violet - Modesty; calms tempers; induces sleep
(blue) - Watchfulness; faithfulness; I'll always be true (white) - Let's take a chance on happiness

W

Y

Z


Zinnia - Thoughts of friends
(magenta) - Lasting affection (mixed) - Thinking of an absent friend (scarlet) - Constancy (white) - Goodness (yellow) - Daily remembrance

This is meant as a guide for you people to buy the correct plants for your loved ones. So, be careful of what you buy because you will not know if the person knows the meaning and might land you into trouble. Oh ya!!! Never ever present a bouquet of withered flowers for your girlfriend because it means rejected love and you might get into trouble! So, let's avoid withered flowers, shall we?? Hahah...



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like white roses. I've given away quite a lot too ... huh ... too generous. :P

Horny Ang Moh said...

I have no idea flower & grass also got meaning wan! Nice infor! Have a nice day!

Fairy Spring said...

There are always meaning in things, ang mor... heheheh.... It just depends on people to link it together or not.